Thursday, November 23, 2006

Family, Funerals, and Feasts

My family was busy yesterday and today as we attended my dad's funeral and burial service. The visitation for the funeral began yesterday at 5:00 pm, but there was already a line when we got there at 4:50 pm. It was strange standing in the receiving line with my mom, brothers, and sister-in-law. The last time I remember doing this was at my parents' 40th wedding anniversary. I saw a lot of the same people but instead of smiles, they shared words of comfort and shed a few tears. And after the funeral service, we all shared a meal together.

This morning we left home early and drove to the veteran's cemetary. Today's service was sadder than yesterday since it really felt like the last formal recognition of my father's life. The military color guard presided over the funeral and presented my mom with a US flag. The color guard then fired their rifles for a 21 gun salute. A lone bugler played "Taps". What a haunting melody. The service was short and at the conclusion, we all made our way to Pah Ke's Restaurant...one of my dad's favorite eating spots. The food was excellent: shrimp salad, eggplant szechuan, beef & vegetables, peking duck, black bean shrimp, noodles. People ended up taking home a lot of the food.

The family came over later this afternoon to look at cards and well wishes and to talk story. We pulled out all the left overs and ate (again). Now we have about 12 hours before we start all over again. Family will be over again as we feast on a Thanksgiving meal.

I had been dreading this week...dreading it since November 2001, to be honest. That's when my dad was diagnosed with liver cancer. But now that it's here, I don't want it to end. The abundance of family and friends, the stories we've laughed over, pictures which stoked our memories, and the meals that we've shared, have made it a sweet experience.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so, so , so, so ,soooooooooo sorry about your dad. My sympathy will always be with you. Miss you!!

Britt <3 :-D

Anonymous said...

Even though it's been so hard, I'm glad that you were able to celebrate and enjoy the life that your father lived, especially sharing in that celebration with family and friends.