Saturday, March 05, 2005

No Time for Work on the Dissertation

I really had good intentions this weekend. Sort of. Friday was my friend Kevin's birthday, so four of us went to celebrate. He wanted to go out to dinner so we went to the new Ruths' Chris Restaurant at the Hyatt Hotel in Seattle. Everything was fantastic. The decor was modern with a dark feel to it. The food was superb. We started with the appetizer platter (stuffed mushrooms, crab with cocktail sauce, barbequed shrimp, and seared ahi) and moved on to soup (lobster bisque) and salad (tomato, red onion and gorgonzola salad). I had steak for my entree. I recommend the medium rare filet. The steak comes out on sizzling plates. As soon it gets to me I slice up the meat and let it cook on the plate. We ordered mashed potatoes, sauteed mushrooms, and broccoli au gratin. Dessert was a banana cream pie. I ended up taking a large portion of my food home (really, I did). Anyway, with so much food running through one's system, it's not possible to concentrate and write. I called it a night.

This morning I took Kevin to the airport. He was delighted since this was spring break and he would be able to spend it in Chicago with the volleyball team. He's absolutely nuts about volleyball. He's a man that gets easily obsessed. Some of his previous obsessions: basketball, Ruths' Chris Restaurant, Israel, and Hebrew. His current obsessions? Volleyball, of course, and his health. He has many symptoms that are apparently precancerous. This is interesting when you consider that he was formerly a mental health worker.

My friend Teresa threw a karaoke party at her condo tonight. Lots of appetizers, drinks, and songs. Needless to say, the dissertation will be shelved for tonight. Tomorrow is another day.

No comments: