Thursday, March 03, 2005

Back to Work

Well yesterday was a total bust. I've realized that if I'm not out of the house by 5:00 pm, then there won't be any work that gets done. As it turns out, I didn't wake up until 5:00 pm so that pretty much sealed my fate for the day. So today I got up at about 2:00 pm, and got to work by 3:00. Not bad. Today I'll continue work on Ch. 3 (Research Context) and maybe do some reading. I'm trying to finish Tim O'Brien's The Things They Carried. I'm reading this for a section on Narrative Inquiry in Ch. 2 (Research Methodology). Nuff about that.

I did get to call Petey in Jackson, TN. Petey is a resident at Shangri-La and is doing very well there. By the way, he finished his Ph.D. last year (yeah Petey!). Petey is now into ethnographic research. He was at the Ethnography and Education Conference at the University of Pennsylvania last week. He's going places; not bad for a Shangri-La boy.

Finally, Corkey. Corkey is the third person in our trio of Shangri-La peeps. Unfortunately, he is angry and bitter, and not just about the dissertation. He's angry and bitter that others have received their Ph.D.s when he is clearly smarter than everyone in our class. He's angry and bitter that he didn't have more intelligent instructors. He's just plain angry and bitter. There's no on who caricatures himself more than Corkey, and yet we love the man.

No comments: