Thursday, December 29, 2005

Moving Words

I'm reading A Few Short Notes on Tropical Butterflies by John Murray. It's a collection of short stories set in different parts of the world - ravaged areas of the world. Murray, a medical doctor and writer, weaves stories of life and death from a medical perspective. I was moved by a particular passage. In it, Stefan, a veteran humanitarian surgeon, explains the need for a philosophy in the face of overwhelming circumstances, one in which death is a common occurence.

"Each life counts," Stefan said. "Every life saved is a triumph. That is what keeps us human. You see. That is why I am here. Every day in the operating theater, I am affirming my humanity. You see that. This is how we will finally win. I cannot change the war, but I can affirm that every life has a value."

Heavy.

No comments: