Wednesday, June 27, 2012

My lunch date with the department

One of the highlights of being in Valparaiso was my lunch out with the Department of Languages and then some wonderful sightseeing. The lunch date started when I left with the department chair and headed to the yacht club. There we were met by the head of the department (seemed like the equivalent of a dean) and two other chairs. The yacht club was beautiful, and the food was exquisite. You'll see in the picture Patricia, who is seated next to the dean. Patricia noted that she actually went out with Pablo Neruda. After lunch, Paola took me on a wonderful tour of Valparaiso and Vina. I felt very lucky to get this detailed tour of the city. What I didn't realize was that Paola was not only a well respected university professor, but also the first lady of Valparaiso. Her husband is the governor of Valparaiso (in Chile, governors are not elected but are appointed by the president.) I was a very fortunate visitor to the city.

No comments: